My friends affectionately refer to this dish as the salad. It is “the” salad, not because it is a salad really, though it depends on your definition, but because it has superlatively impressed them all.
Though I know many people who like their bhel puri very dry, I prefer to give mine a healthy dose of chutney and vegetables for flavor. Though it will get soggy if you store it for the next day, I promise it will stay crisp long enough to serve your guests.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
- three small potatoes
- three vine tomatoes
- half a red onion
- half a white onion
- tamarind chutney (I actually like tamarind date chutney if you can find it)
- cilantro mint chutney
- 10 oz. bhel puri mix (you can also buy the sev, bhel, and pooris separately)
- cilantro for garnish (if desired)
- Set some water to boil for the potatoes.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and a dash of salt.
- Dice the onions and tomatoes into roughly 1/4-1/2 inch cubes and put them in a very large serving bowl.
- Mix the cilantro mint chutney, or if using store bought green chutney, add 4 tablespoons or about a quarter cup to the chopped vegetables.
- Add two to three tablespoons of cilantro chutney to the vegetables and mix well.
- The potatoes should be ready in 15-20 minutes. You want them soft enough that you can easily get a fork into them, but not squishy or easily mashable.
- Pour off the boiling water and refill the pot with icy cold water. Let the potatoes sit in the cold water for a minute, then run then under cold water a few more times.
- Peel the potatoes (you should be able to pull them off easily with your fingers. it is actually more difficult to use a peeler on cooked potatoes).
- Cut the potatoes into half inch cubes and mix with the other vegetables.
- Right before serving, add the bhel puri mix and stir to combine everything thoroughly. You want to be sure the sauce has coated all of the mix.
- Garnish with roughly chopped cilantro, if desired.
100th post: 100 Favorite Recipes | The 30 Minute Dinner Party
[…] Bhel Puri (recipe) […]