I know I said I love Greek salad. But I can only eat so much, and then I don’t know what to do with all of my farm share cucumbers, and I am not quite adventurous enough yet to make my own pickles.
In a panicked search for quick, no-cook dinner party fare, I stumbled upon this startlingly simple recipe at Ulterior Epicure. If you serve it as a first course, be forewarned: it is delicious enough to distract your guests from saving room for the rest of the meal!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Adapted from Ulterior Epicure
- three large cucumbers
- 2 cups yogurt
- dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- pimenton (smokey Spanish paprika)
- Peel the cucumbers.
- Cut each cucumber in half twice lengthwise so it is in large quarters, then chop each quarter at 1/2-1 inch intervals.
- Throw the cucumbers in the blender with the yogurt.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon pimenton.
- Blend thoroughly (about two minutes) until the cucumbers are completely pureed.
- Chill soup (covered) in the fridge for at least an hour.
- If you are serving the soup in individual portions, top each helping with a spoon of creme fraiche (or yogurt or sour cream) and springs or dill or finely chopped chives. Enjoy!