Ribbon salads always dazzle me with their innate elegance. The delightful mix of sweet, sour, crunchy, and savory in this cucumber salad ensure that the flavor will exceed all your initial expectations.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 medium/large cucumbers (chilled before using, if possible)
- In a small bowl, vigorously stir the vinegar and sugar until mixture has combined fully.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and set dressing aside.
- Wash and scrub each cucumber, then cut in half once lengthwise and once widthwise, resulting in quarters.
- Using a vegetable peeler, make as many cucumber peels as you can from each quarter.
- Once the cucumber become too hard to handle with the peeler, (using a sharp knife) cut the remaining cucumber into 1/8 thick lengths.
- Chill cucumber if prepping in advance, then toss in dressing and let soak for 5 minutes before serving.