It never ceases to amaze me how so few ingredients can lead to such a flavorful finished product. Like French leek and potato soup, this is a dish where a little cooking time turns a few common fresh items into a deliciously complex taste. Use if for a savory dinner dish like potato pancakes, over french toast for breakfast, or with a decadent pastry for dessert.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Adapted from French Women for All Seasons
- 3 apples (mix varieties for optimum flavor)
- 3 pears (mix varieties for optimum flavor)
- cane sugar
- Leaving the skin on (it is more healthy this way, but if you are going for a super smooth, professional look, you can skin the fruit), cut the apples and pears into small chunks.
- Add fruit to a large pan with a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon each of sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat for ten minutes.
- Using a fork, heavy wooden spoon, or potato mashed, throughly mash all the fruit.
- Return to medium (or medium-low if there is very little liquid remaining) heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally to keep compote from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Allow to cool slight and spoon over your sweet or savory item of choice. Delicious, healthy satisfaction guaranteed!