I love being in the situation where I have people over and nothing planned to cook. It forces me to be creative with what I have on hand and I often end up creating new recipes that are more exciting that what I find in cookbooks.
After dinner the other night, I was experimenting with what was in the kitchen and ended up creating a dessert that made my most surly and disagreeable friend turn and hug me.
The thing I love most about this dish is that it really shows why ricotta is a great item to keep on hand – you can add all sorts of interesting ingredients to it to quickly and easily create a definitely crowd-pleasing dessert.
Chocolate Spiced Ricotta
Prep time: 10 minutes
- zest of two lemons
- one chocolate bar (I used Ritter Sport Voll-Nuss but you can use whatever chocolate you have on hand)
- granulated sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of ricotta
- handful of blueberries
- Zest two lemons and half of chocolate bar
- Add a quarter cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of freshly ground pepper, and a half teaspoon of peperoncino.
- Mix the above ingredients thoroughly.
- Add one cup of ricotta.
- Mix until the dry ingredients are combined.
- Spoon into four small bowls.
- Top each helping of ricotta with a few blueberries and a piece of chocolate.
- Serve with the small bowls collected on a serving tray for effect.