For all of those non-carnivores out there, this salad is a protein gold mine! But even the biggest meat-eaters can’t help but love this salad.
Already garnering “I think this is the best thing I have had here…” at my dinner parties, this recipe has quickly become a staple. For the last minute chef, you really can’t ask for more: it is adaptable, fast, and incredibly nutritious. Try subbing in different beans and vegetables – I take advantage of whatever is in the fridge!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 fresh corn cobs
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 half onion (red or sweet if available)
- 1-2 green peppers
- 2 small jalapeño or finger chilies
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (optional – some people really hate cilantro, so ask before you add it)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- red chili powder
- Empty all of the canned beans into a colander and allow to drain.
- Rinse the beans, shaking them and mixing them, to remove all of the canning liquid.
- Transfer the beans to your serving bowl. (Make sure to use a large bowl; this recipe makes quite a lot of salad!)
- Husk the the corn and cut off the kernels. (I hold the corn perpendicular to the cutting board and use a downward stroke starting at the base of the kernels and traversing the length of the cob and make my way around the whole piece)
- Separate corn kernels and add to serving bowl with beans.
- Chop the celery, onion, peppers and cilantro (if using) and add to serving bowl.
- Mix salad so that ingredients are well combined.
- Mix 5 tablespoons each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon red chili pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl and then add to salad.
- Thoroughly mix so that dressing has coated everything evenly and set aside for flavors to meld.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!